Friday, September 11, 2009

The Long Awaited Playdough Post!

Ladies and gentlemen! I give you, the post you have all been waiting for...HOMEMADE PLAYDOUGH!! It turned out great, just as I remembered it as a child. The best part was kneading it while it was still warm, my favorite part of homemade cooked playdough!


Here we have a picture of the playdough before and after coloring. Next, is a picture of Tinker enjoying her new treats!! She had a great time playing with it and didn't make much of a mess (to my surprise). We both had a good time with the playdough and when Daddy got home from work, so did he...LOL!! See, great fun for all ages :)


I looked at all kinds of recipes and tutorial videos on You Tube, but I am not sure where the recipe I used came from. They're basically all the same idea and you can add or take away whatever you want, to suit your playdough needs :)

Here is the recipe that I used:

1 cup flour
1 cup water
1/2 cup salt
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp cream of tartar (I believe this is just a preservative and from what I hear, you don't have to add it. I think it just might not last as long)
food coloring

I just mixed all the ingredients in a medium pot and then cooked it over a medium to low heat. Keep stirring until the mixture becomes lumpy and form a sort of ball. I then let it cool until it was cool enough for me to handle. Put dough on a floured surface and knead until smooth and no longer sticky. Add food coloring as desired and VOILA! Be sure to store in air tight containers or baggies, to keep fresh...ENJOY!!

This recipe makes a pretty nice amount of playdough. When I started to make it, I thought it was such a small amount, but it is actually quite a bit. I hope you all enjoyed this post and make lots of your own homemade playdough. If you do, be sure to post pics so I can see the playdough goodness :)

1 comment:

The Youngs!!! said...

wow thats awsome and sounds easy?? I cant wait to make some, however im going to wait a bit until cole is older but im thinking awsome christmas gift..lol thanks miss A very much...